Refresher Workshop (Track I):
The sessions last 3 hours in length each and provide a review of the most critical components of each NCE test content area. Each week (8 weeks in length) a different content area is focused on. Total face-to-face hours (24 hrs). Virtual sessions are available.
Focus Workshop (Track II):
Sessions provide specific and extensive instruction on a single specific NCE content area. Focus workshops are 4 weeks in length and last 3 hours each. Total face-to-face hours (12 hrs). Virtual sessions are available.
Classic Workshop (Track III):
Designed for students interested in enrolling in two workshops concurrently, this workshop is for 8 weeks and meets for 4 hours. Students who enroll in track III and fail the NCE will have their re-take exam paid for and given a 50% refund. Virtual sessions are available
Independent Study (Track IV):
The sessions are a unique learning opportunity for individuals who desire instruction that is delivered in a non-traditional manner (i.e. one-on-one tutoring, SKYPE). The sessions last 3 hours each and are 4 weeks in length. Total face-to-face hours (12 hrs). Virtual sessions are available.
Standard Workshop Topics:
- Counseling Appraisal/Statistics
- Research & Assessment/Testing
- Careers Path & Development
- Counseling Theories & Approaches
- Human Growth & Development
- Social/Cultural Ethical
- Helping Relationships
- Group Process
Previous Course Schedule—Flint, Mi:
Week 1: Statistics
Week 2: Research & Assessment/Testing
Week 3: Career Development
Week 4: Human Growth & Development
Week 5: Counseling Theories
Week 6: Helping Relationships
Week 7: Social/Cultural Ethical
Week 8: Group Process
Note: Dr. Recco will be present at courses that he is not instructing. He will serve as the instructors’ aid/class aid.
Our instructors are Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) or they are Limited Licensed Professional Counselors (LLPC) that have passed the NCE (within the last 3 years).
To date, 93 percent of our participants passed the NCE on their first attempt. We believe that the students’ success on the exam is due to:
- Instructors’ putting forth good effort and having good teaching skills.
- Our ability to build rapport and relationship with students.
- Decisions to follow best practices and promising approaches.
- A commitment to follow traditional mental health approaches, time tested business principles and creativity.
Workshop Enrollment Size:
The maximum enrollment for a workshop is 10-12 persons.
Our curriculum covers 8 of the 9 content areas (counseling field experience is not a specific course, but is referenced and discussed) found on the NCE.
- Human Growth/Development
- Social/Cultural Foundations
- Helping Relationships
- Group Work/Process
- Career/Lifestyle Development
- Research/Program Evaluation
- Professional Orientation to Counseling